That crispness in the morning air and dew on the lawn tells me that fall is on the way! We all know that once it’s cold and rainy outside, we tend to huddle indoors and pay less attention to the mainten ance of our homes. With that in mind, now is the time to get your home ready!
- Furnace Filters ~ Though filters should be checked more than once per year, it helps to use fall as a reminder for this basic maintenance. Your furnace is the blower unit for both your heating AND air conditioning, so it’s been working all summer long! Change the filter often for maximum performance and energy efficiency.
- Standing Water ~ The rainy season is coming, so if you have open containers on your property such as flower pots or bird baths, they’re going to fill up. This is the perfect breeding ground for algae, so turn them upside down or store them out of the weather.
- Sprinkler Check ~ Save water and money by adjusting your sprinkler settings. Either reduce the number of days you’re watering, or the amount of time set for each station. By the time winter comes, you should be able to turn them off completely!
- Clear the Debris ~ I’m very certain that no one wants unwelcomed guests, meaning pests and rodents. Extra clutter around the perimeter of your home is the perfect hiding place to escape the colder weather, so get these areas cleaned up. This will strongly discourage rodents from making a home on your property!
- Seal the Gaps ~ Another place rodents like to hide out is in the attic. Walk the perimeter of your home and look for openings that would allow them access into your home, and get them sealed. Even a quarter-sized opening is large enough for a rat to squeeze through! Believe me, I’m speaking from experience when I tell you that if you get one, you’ll have a whole family in no time.
Check back weekly for more home improvement and decorating tips! If I can give you any assistance with your design and decorating needs, please don’t hesitate to call or email me. Many times a single consultation is all that’s needed to pull your project together!
Everyone deserves a home they love ~ Inside and Out!