Do you have window treatments that are functional, but hate them because they’re unattractive or outdated? Or perhaps they’re dysfunctional … you’ve been tempted to tear them down time and again, yet don’t know what to put in their place. There are a myriad of choices available, though many factors to consider when selecting the right treatments for your home, and most likely the treatment you select will vary from room to room.
Picture a window in your home that you want to improve. Here are just a few of the factors you need to consider before making your final decision:
- Do you need your treatment to provide privacy?
- Does heat from the afternoon sun need to be insulated?
- Are there children or pets in the home? Consider how the treatments will stand up to their not-so-gentle touch.
- Is the room formal or informal? This will greatly influence the style of treatment you select, as well as any fabrics you may choose.
- Do you want the window to be a focal point in the room, or would you prefer a simple treatment?
- Is your desire purely for cosmetics, and function isn’t an issue? Perhaps you just want to add a decorative element to the room, and that is their primary function. In the room pictured here, the blinds provide the function, and the drapery panels add a soft, decorative touch.
- Window treatments can also be used to adjust the imbalance in a room, such as an oddly placed corner window.
Window treatments range from ready-made draperies and blinds available at your local retailers, to highly customized treatments for the most unique situations. If I can give you any assistance with your design and decorating needs, please don’t hesitate to call or email me. Many times a single consultation is all that’s needed to pull your project together!
Design should be fun, not stressful!